You are here
- 4 tuners to record 4 shows at once
- Up to 75 HD hours
- TiVo® Standard remote
- Supports digital cable channels only
- Searches TV & web apps simultaneously
- Online & mobile scheduling
- Replaces your cable box*
- Streams music and photos from any home network and the web
- Free TiVo App for iPad®, iPhone® and Android provides a richer TV experience
|Cable, antenna or satellite?||Works with digital cable and Verizon FiOS®. AT&T U-verse, antenna and satellite not supported|
|Internet connection required to receive the TiVo Service||Wireless, wired Ethernet, or Ethernet over coax (MoCA). Streaming content between multiple TiVo devices using wireless is not supported.|
|CableCARD requirements||One multi-stream CableCARD decoder from your cable company (additional fee may apply)**|
|Recording capacity||Up to 75 hours of HD
Up to 650 hours in SD
|Series architecture||TiVo Series4™ architecture|
|TV input sources||Digital cable (QAM only) and Verizon FiOS®. Does not support AT&T U-verse, satellite, analog cable, or antenna (ATSC).|
|Video output modes||480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Ouputs||HDMI, component video, composite video, optical audio, analog audio|
|Inputs||CableCARD™ support, cable coax, Ethernet connection, USB 2.0 ports (2), E-SATA, MoCA|
|Wireless adapter support||TiVo Wireless N, Wireless G network adapters
(Not recommended for streaming content between two or more TiVo devices)
|Phone adapter support||No|
|THX® sound and video certification||Not THX® Certified|
|Remote control||Standard TiVo remote|
|Dimensions||16.5" W x 9.7" D x 2.4" H with feet (2.1" H without feet – bezel height) Outer carton: 19.75" W x 13" D x 6.125" H.|
|Carton weight||6.64 lbs|
|Included in the carton||TiVo Premiere
TiVo standard remote
Instruction manual and Quick-Start guide
Cables: HDMI, Ethernet, Composite video & audio, power
|Datasheets||TiVo Premiere 4 datasheet|
* Broadband Internet connection required. Due to restrictions placed by copyright holders, certain premium programming cannot be transferred to computers or mobile devices. TiVo Desktop Plus software (sold separately) is required to transfer recordings to mobile devices.
** CableCARD™ Decoder. A CableCARD decoder is required for your TiVo Premiere DVR to receive any cable programming. The TiVo Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4 are designed for use only with digital cable systems. They do not receive analog programming, including over-the-air programming, and will not work with an over-the-air antenna. Most of the largest cable providers have "digital simulcast," which means they rebroadcast all of their analog channel programming on digital channels as well. This means that all programs available on analog channels are also available on digital channels when a CableCARD is inserted. Therefore, if your provider has "digital simulcast" you will not miss any of your cable channel programming with a TiVo Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4. Please contact your provider if you are unsure whether its service provides digital simulcast of all analog programming.
© 2013 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. TiVo, the TiVo logo, Series4, and the Series4 logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing, LLC. Dolby and the Double D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. CableCARD is a trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. All other trademarks and tradenames are the property of their respective owners.
TiVo® Premiere helps you maximize the value of your monthly cable service. And with an Internet-connected TiVo Premiere you get access to a world of free movies, TV shows, web videos, music, podcasts and more delivered over the Internet, all at your command, all in one amazing box.
/4/XL4 HD/Series3 Series2 Series1
TiVo Premiere and TiVo Premiere 4 record up to 75 hours of HD programming and Premiere XL4 records up to 300 hours of HD programming.
With Premiere, you'll never miss your favorite shows again. It lets you control live TV or recorded shows with pause, rewind, fast-forward, instant replay, slow motion and the new 30-second scan. You can record two shows at once with the TiVo Premiere and four shows at once with Premiere 4 and Premiere XL4.
TiVo Premiere's reinvented, visually stunning HD interface gives you the tools to search, explore, browse and discover like never before—on both TV and the web. It's now faster, easier and more intuitive than ever to find more of what you love. And a new multi-column format delivers more information per screen, so all get to all your entertainment faster.
Search millions of titles and multiple sources (including the Internet) and find exactly what you want to watch. Search, discover and explore everything that's available on your Premiere all in one place. Even cooler, you'll see movie and TV show prices from all your sources, so you can do comparison shopping before purchasing.
TiVo Premiere's all-new, dedicated Browse feature is the perfect way to make sense of all the great content coming into your home. Not sure what you want to watch? Premiere's visual poster-browse display speeds things up by delivering considerably more information at a glance. Looking for a good movie? Top Picks has all the most popular content from across the TiVo service universe, including online partners like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. And if you're in the mood for a particular kind of movie, drill down instantly by clicking on one of dozens of categories in the new Collections feature and browse away.
TiVo Premiere's new Collections feature highlights the best that television and the web have to offer—all grouped into fresh, fun, up-to-date categories. Explore topical collections, event-driven collections, seasonal collections and groups of shows related to something new, interesting or popular. You can even "favorite" a collection and let the TiVo box know what’s hitting your sweet spot.
The all-new Discovery Bar is a graphic lineup of content that appears across the top of Premiere's stunning HD menus. This display gives you helpful recommendations for movies and TV shows that are similar to ones you already enjoy, as well as titles that are currently popular in the TiVo community. Drop-down menus explain why programs were recommended. Simply click any item to record it. On the right, a new picture-in-menu window enables you to keep watching your show while navigating through the menus of Premiere's HD interface.
The cool new picture-in-menu video window enables you to keep watching your show while using TiVo Premiere menus. It appears on the upper right side of your interface, in the Discovery Bar. This live feed can also be paused from here if you prefer.
TiVo has always give you the ability to take total control live and recorded TV with pause, rewind, fast-forward and slo-mo. Now with Premiere, we've added a one-click 30-second scan feature so you can conveniently speed through those parts of your shows you'd rather not sit through.
TiVo Premiere's convenient, new at-a-glance disk usage meter displays how much of your 75 hours of HD recording capacity (75 with Premiere 4 and 300 with Premiere XL4) you have available at any given moment, so you can better manage your storage.
When you have more than one TiVo box connected to your home network through broadband, you can easily transfer non-copy protected HD shows between them. Simply connect all of your TiVo boxes to your home network and you can enjoy the convenience of multi-room viewing.
Forget to schedule a recording? Stuck in a meeting? In an airport? Don't panic. Just visit tivo.com or m.tivo.com from the web or a mobile device and search for shows, browse air times and channels, and schedule your desired recording online. It's like always having your TiVo box with you.
Experience TV like never before by turning smart phone or tablet into command central for your TiVo DVR. Search, browse, schedule and share without interrupting what you're watching. It's the ultimate TiVo companion.
Who says you can't take it with you? Transfer your recorded shows to your laptop and hit the road. Or use TiVo Desktop Plus to convert your shows and load them onto your iPod®, PSP® or other media player. TiVo Desktop Plus is available for purchase and download on tivo.com.
You can always expand the recording capacity of your Premiere with an external hard drive. We recommend the Western Digital 1 TB My DVR Expander. Once it's plugged into the eSATA port on your TiVo box, the Expander adds an additional 140 hours of HD recording space, or up to 1,200 hours of standard-definition recording capacity.
You may be in an ideal location to receive and record FREE over-the-air HD signals of network TV programming with a digital antenna. You'll enjoy a breathtaking picture quality unmatched by cable and satellite providers. Digital antenna required and sold separately.
Like the crisp detail, brilliant colors, and eye-opening quality of 1080p? Perhaps you’re an action-movie aficionado? Or maybe you just want to get the most out of your HDTV? Rest assured, Premiere provides full 1080i and 1080p support, so you’ll see all the action, and all the pageantry, in all its intended glory.
Broadband Internet-connected featuresPremiere
/4/XL4 HD/Series3 Series2 Series1
With a broadband-connected Premiere, you're connected to a vast universe of on-demand choices for purchase or rent—from movies and TV shows to web videos, music videos, streaming music and more. (Availability of third-party content subject to change and additional fees may apply from third-party content providers.)
Now you can make any night movie night. Over 90,000 movies and TV shows are now available for download through your Premiere—with many in breathtaking HD. (Additional fees may apply from Amazon.)
From surprised kittens to sneezing baby pandas, you'll now be able to search for, browse and enjoy millions of FREE YouTube videos, right on your TV. The possibilities are virtually endless.
TiVo® Premiere users can now stream dozens of current TV programs, like Glee, 30 Rock, and Modern Family—plus many classic series and acclaimed movies.
Find free web videos for virtually every interest under the sun and watch them on your TV. From astronomy and politics to woodworking and yoga, it's easy to find free videos that match your particular area of interest. You can even subscribe for regular updates (RSS feeds), which you'll find waiting for you in your "My Shows" folder.
Whether you're in the mood for classical, hip-hop or anything in between, it's easy to access millions of songs directly through your broadband-connected TiVo Premiere. With Pandora, you can create your own FREE radio stations based on a favorite song or band. Or use your Rhapsody® account to stream the music you love (available on TiVo Premiere DVRs only). You can even listen to hundreds of FREE music channels with Live365. As you can hear, your musical options are virtually endless. (Additional fees may apply from third-party content providers.)
You no longer need to enjoy your computer's personal music library through your computer's speakers or headphones. With TiVo Desktop software it's simple to stream the tunes you love the most on your TV or home entertainment system. Rock on. (TiVo Desktop software required.)
Your most precious pictures and slideshows have never looked this good. Display your personal photo library from your PC or Mac on the biggest screen in your house—with Premiere. They'll be larger than life. (TiVo Desktop Plus software required and sold separately.)
Set up your TiVo Premiere DVR in 4 easy steps
An easy to follow "Start here" poster is included with your TiVo Premiere and will guide you through the setup process. Get an overview of the steps below or watch the video.
- We recommend using the included HDMI cable for an optimal HD experience
- You can also use the included composite cables to connect to your TV
- Connect your cable company's coax cable into the back of your TiVo Premiere
- Insert the CableCARD™ decoder supplied by your cable company into the back of your TiVo Premiere
- Use Wired Ethernet, or
- Wireless network (not supported for Multi-Room Streaming), or
into Ethernet port
Plug a Coax cable into the MoCA port
located on the back of the DVR Learn more
Wireless G or N adapter
into USB port (G) or
Ethernet port (N)
You will be taken through a guided setup program right on your TV.
Once you're done...
You will be ready to record TV, access the world's largest on-demand video store, watch YouTube™, stream music from Pandora, schedule recordings remotely, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Compatibility and setup
TiVo boxes work with all major cable providers and Verizon FiOS. For select Comcast subscribers, XFINITY On Demand programming is also accessible. Check to see if your cable provider offers TiVo DVRs with their service packages.
- HD Digital Cable: TiVo Premiere, Premiere 4 and XL4 are compatible with digital cable systems. It is important you verify that you have a digital cable signal before purchasing this product. These products do not work with external cable boxes, analog cable or satellite. A CableCARD™ decoder is required to receive any digital cable programming. Additional fees may apply from your cable provider
- Analog cable: only TiVo Premiere (500GB)
- Verizon FiOS®: All TiVo Premiere DVRs
- AT&T U-verse®: no TiVo product compatibility
- Check to see if your cable provider offers TiVo DVRs with their service packages.
- HD ANTENNA: Only TiVo Premiere (500GB)
SATELLITE: visit directv.com/tivo
- TiVo Premiere has 2 ATSC tuners that allow the DVR to record up to two channels at once from digital over-the-air broadcasts in full HD
- TiVo Premiere 4 and XL4 do not support ATSC over-the-air signals
- ATSC broadcasts are completely free and are accessible by using an HD antenna, which is available for purchase at retail stores or from tivo.com
- About the size of a credit card, a CableCARD is a plug-in card that is inserted into a slot in your TiVo box so you can receive digital cable channels. CableCARDs are supplied by your cable company and enable your TiVo box to unscramble your cable company's encrypted signal. Once inserted and activated, a CableCARD communicates with your local cable system and delivers all the high-definition and digital cable channels included in your cable TV subscription package.
- If you do not insert a CableCARD decoder into your TiVo box:
TiVo Premiere (500GB): will still receive antenna and standard definition analog cable channels. It will also receive broadband content, as long your TiVo box is connected to the Internet through your home network.
TiVo Premiere 4 or XL4: will receive broadband content, as long your TiVo box is connected to the Internet through your home network.
- See the CableCARD overview
In order to access all of your high-definition and digital cable channels, a multi-stream CableCARD decoder(s) must be inserted into the CableCARD slot on your TiVo DVR. For Roamio, the CableCARD connector can be accessed under the unit.
You must call your cable company to schedule the installation of a CableCARD decoder. Some cable providers allow their customers to pick up their CableCARD at the cable company's local service center and install it on their own. While some cable companies offer CableCARDs to their subscribers for free, others may charge a nominal monthly fee. Contact your cable provider for details.
Federal law mandates that all major cable companies provide CableCARDs to their digital cable subscribers, so if you experience any problems call our Technical Support team at 1-877-367-8486 and we will initiate a three-way call with your cable company to expedite setup.
Cost will depend on the cable operator. Some cable operators offer them free of charge, while others may charge a nominal amount per-month fee to rent.
All major cable companies are federally mandated to support CableCARD decoders. Many cable companies also offer a "self-install" option — you can visit their retail location, pick up a cable card, and install it yourself.
You will need to call your cable company and request one Multi-stream CableCARD decoder (M-Card). Many cable companies require that a technician come to your home to install the card, but some allow subscribers to install the cards themselves. Call your cable company and inquire about their CableCARD installation policy.
To help your cable technician with installing your CableCARD decoder, please download and print the following instructions:TiVo instructions for CableCARD installers
Tips for installing a CableCARD into your TiVo DVR
Federal law mandates that all major cable companies provide CableCARDs to their digital cable subscribers, so if you experience any problems call our Technical Support team at 1-877-367-8486 and we will perform a three-way call with your cable company to expedite delivery.
You may use a CableCARD from an earlier generation TiVo box, but it must be a Multi-stream CableCARD (M-Card). Single-stream cards are not supported by TiVo Premiere boxes. Simply move the Multi-stream CableCARD from your old TiVo box to your new TiVo box and follow the instructions on the installation menus that automatically appear on your TV screen.
When going through Guided Setup you can choose to install a CableCARD at that time or to install at a later date. If you don't have your CableCARD yet, choose 'install at a later date' and finish Guided Setup without the CableCARD. You'll be able to watch all of your analog cable channels (TiVo Premiere 500GB only), but you'll need to get the CableCARD to view any digital channels.
If your cable provider requires that they install the card, set up the TiVo box a day or two before your installation appointment. This will allow your TiVo DVR to connect to the TiVo Service and download any software updates that are available.
To help your cable technician with installing your CableCARD decoder, please download and print the following instructions:
TiVo DVR instructions for CableCARD installers
Once you have the card, simply insert it into the CableCARD slot on your TiVo box and the menus to configure the card will automatically display; there's no need to run Guided Setup again.
You must call your cable company to activate your card. Your cable company may refer to the activation process as “pairing” the CableCARD or "binding" the CableCARD.
All of the information they'll need is located on the gray and black CableCARD MMI screen, which appears after you've inserted the CableCARD. This gray and black screen lists the phone number you'll need to call to activate the card. Typically they'll ask for the serial number (Card S/N), the Host ID, and sometimes the 'Data' identifier.
If you subscribe to multiple tiers of cable service, check a few channels in each tier before getting off the phone to ensure the correct cable packages have been enabled (HBO, for example).
The time required for your CableCARD to become active can vary depending on your cable provider, but it typically becomes activated within a few hours. After the card is successfully activated, you can begin watching your digital channels (analog for TP500). A full program guide for the upcoming weeks will be downloaded within 24 hours, or you can connect to the TiVo service in Messages & Settings and perform a manual update to download the latest programming information for your complete channel lineup.
Service fees, warranty and how to buy
After the end of your TiVo service subscription commitment with a TiVo DVR, your monthly service plan will continue on a month-to-month basis and TiVo will charge you on a monthly basis at the then-applicable monthly service plan rate until you cancel. See terms & conditions for TiVo Payment Plans for details. Keeping your account and credit card information current will help you avoid any interruptions in service.
After the 30-day money-back guarantee expires, you own the TiVo box. If you subscribed to the TiVo service on a monthly plan with a commitment and cancel before the end for you commitment period, you will be charged an early termination fee. See terms & conditions for TiVo payment plans for details.
All TiVo DVRs are subject to the standard TiVo DVR warranty. Please see the TiVo DVR limited warranty for details. TiVo also offers two (2) year and three (3) year extended warranty plans which may be purchased within ninety (90) days from the earlier of the DVR purchase date or TiVo service activation date.
- TiVo offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Only applies to initial activations if canceled within 30 days and the TiVo box or accessory is returned for a full refund. If you cancel within 30 days of activation (which is typically the date your order ships), you will receive a full refund if you return the TiVo box and accessory, if applicable, within 15 days of cancellation. The shipping charge for the return is at your expense. If you do not return the TiVo box and accessory, if applicable, within the first 30 days of activation, you will be charged a "Non-returned Equipment Fee" equal to the MSRP of the TiVo box and accessory, if applicable, and applicable taxes minus the upfront cost of the box and accessory, if applicable. If you change your subscription plan within the first 30 days of activation, you may be charged a fee equal to the MSRP of the TiVo box and accessory, if applicable, and applicable taxes minus the upfront cost of the box and accessory, if applicable, depending on the subscription plan you choose. Service plan renewals, and hardware replacements and upgrades are not eligible for the 30-day money-back guarantee
- Returned DVRs must include all original components, literature, warranties and packaging in the same saleable condition in which it was received. Refunds for returns will cover product amount and any sales taxes charged. Refunds will not be made for any shipping and handling charges. Returns not meeting these requirements may be subject to a restocking fee equaling 15% of the retail value of the DVR (not including taxes). Damaged merchandise, cosmetically or otherwise, is subject to an increased restocking fee on a case-by-case basis. If an order has shipped, it is the purchaser's responsibility to accept the shipment and return the order per our Return Policy. Orders that are refused at the designated shipping address may incur a 15% restocking fee
- Best Buy is a national retailer that sells TiVo Premiere in their core store, TiVo Premiere 4/XL4 in available in Magnolia Home Theater departments only
- Amazon.com and bestbuy.com are national online retailers that sell TiVo Premiere DVRs
- In various regions of the U.S., TiVo Premiere DVRs may also be purchased from HHGregg, Fry's Electronics, Abt Electronics & Appliances, Crutchfield, J&R, and other leading consumer electronics retail locations
- Find a store
Yes. TiVo offers current customers a Multi-Service Discount ("MSD") of $2 on monthly service = $12.99 per month, or $100 on Product Lifetime service = $399.99. To be eligible, you must have an active current qualifying subscription to the TiVo service. See the Multi-Service Discount Agreement for more information. Log into tivo.com to see if you qualify.
The TiVo User Experience
No, the new look and feel is only available on the TiVo Roamio platform and will not be downloadable to any previous TiVo DVRs. The UI looks slightly different but the functionality and menus are exactly the same.
Customers can indicate the types of things they'd like to see in the discovery bar. For instance, you'll be able to tell your DVR that you'd like to see more movies, and less TV shows in the bar, or more free content and less pay content.
When searching or browsing, the discovery bar will populate content that is relevant to what the user is searching for. If a user is not searching or browsing, the bar recommends content popular with other TiVo subscribers, or chosen by the TiVo editorial team as a highlight for that week. The TiVo service tries to present the best matches for what you're looking for, allowing you to discover new and interesting things to watch.
Technical and functionality questions
- TiVo Premiere is 500 gigabytes
- TiVo Premiere 4 is 500 gigabytes
- TiVo Premiere XL4 is 2 terabytes
We at TiVo want to bring customers the very best entertainment experience, and part of that is delivering entertainment content available from the Internet straight to the TV. That's why we focus solely on providing video on demand and other entertainment content on TiVo boxes that are especially engineered for your TV.
- Multi-room viewing of HD content* is possible between TiVo Roamio, Roamio Plus/Pro, TiVo Premiere, Premiere 4, and Premiere XL4, Series3, TiVo HD, or XL and TiVo Mini.
- Multi-Room Streaming, only works between two or more networked TiVo Roamio, Premiere DVRs and TiVo Mini.
* Not all programs may be transferred using the multi-room viewing or feature due to the use of copy protection mechanisms assigned by the program provider and permitted under the FCC's encoding rules. These shows usually are marked with a red circle-slash icon. (47 C.F.R. 76.1904)
TiVo Premiere can be networked with other TiVo DVRs. Multi-Room Streaming (MRS) means that you can watch recorded shows instantly on another networked TiVo DVR or TiVo Mini in your home. Access your My Shows list on your DVR in the bedroom, click “Play” and start watching shows on your DVR in the living room. No waiting for downloads or transfers!
The best way to enjoy Multi-Room Streaming is by using a wired Ethernet or Coax/MoCA) connection. Using a Wireless N or G adapter for Multi-Room Streaming is not supported.
- The green light tells you the power is on
- The yellow light indicates remote activity; you will see it blink every time you press a remote key
- The blue light indicates a program is being downloaded onto the box. This could come from a broadband source, such as Amazon Instant Video, or from another TiVo DVR on your home network that is transferring a program
- The red lights correspond to the two or four tuners on your TiVo Premiere DVR; if a tuner is recording a program one red circle will be on. Each additional red circle will light up as a tuner is activated showing that between 1 – 4 tuners are currently recording different programs simultaneously.
Yes. You can connect an external hard drive via eSATA. The 1 terabyte My Book AV DVR Expander from Western Digital can be purchased on tivo.com.
An eSATA port offers a more robust connection for the external hard drive than a USB port. Because the external hard drive is typically always connected to the TiVo DVR, this connection is important and best supported with an eSATA port.
- All TiVo Premiere DVRs provide an HDMI output
- HDMI cables are included with the purchase of TiVo Premiere DVRs
- TiVo Premiere 4/ XL4 support up to 16 simultaneous HDMI connections when connected to a compatible HDMI switch