Now you can do just about everything you can do with your TiVo® remote control — find and explore shows, schedule recordings, control live TV and recorded shows, and more — from your Android tablet or phone! Just download the TiVo app to your Android device, and you're ready to get started.
The app works with the following models:
- TiVo Roamio (all models)
- TiVo Premiere (all models)
- TiVo HD (all models)
- TiVo Series3
Note: You can also use the Android app with your Kindle Fire. Learn more
Before you begin
Before you can use the TiVo app, you'll need to do the following:
- Show the steps
- Download the TiVo app from Google Play (previously the Android Market). It's free!
- Make sure that you have a compatible TiVo DVR connected to your home network.
- Make sure your Android tablet/phone has Wi-Fi turned on, and that it is connected to the same network as your TiVo DVR.
- On your TiVo DVR, allow the Android device to access your TiVo DVR by turning on the "Network Remote Control" setting. From TiVo Central, select Settings > Messages & Settings > Remote, CableCARD, & Devices > Network Remote Control. See it
Setting up the the TiVo App
The first time you launch your TiVo app, you'll go through a one-time set-up process. Don't worry, it only takes a minute.
- Show the steps
- Make sure your tablet or phone is connected to the same network as your TiVo DVR.
- Launch the TiVo app.
- If prompted, select the primary TiVo DVR to use with the app. (You will only be prompted if you have more than one compatible TiVo DVR on your home network.)
Sign in to the app, using one of the following methods:
- Enter the Media Access Key (MAK) for your DVR. The MAK is a special number that identifies your TiVo box. You can find it under Settings & Messages > System Information > Media Access Key.
- Tap "Sign in to tivo.com instead" and enter your TiVo.com username and password.
Viewing the Info Screen
The Info screen is the first screen you'll see when you enter the app. This screen displays information about the show that's currently airing on your TiVo DVR. As you change channels, the Info screen will update to reflect the show you're watching. See it
You can do lots of things from this screen, including:
- Tap "Explore" the show to learn more about its cast and crew, or to see a list of shows you might also like.
- Tap "Record" to set up a single recording or a Season Pass recording.
- Tap "Upcoming" to view a list of upcoming episodes.
- Tap "Get From" to watch the show instantly on your TV if it's available from other sources (like Netflix or Amazon)
- Tap "Share" to share your comments about on Facebook or Twitter.
You can reach the Info screen at any time by tapping the Info button (on a tablet) or by tapping the TiVo button and then choosing "Info" (on a phone).
Note: The Info screen is not available if you are away from your home network.
Finding and exploring shows
You can find and explore shows with a few taps of the screen. Give it a try:
- Show the steps
- To search for a particular show, tap the Search window (on a tablet) or the Search icon (on a phone) at the top of the screen. As you enter the title of the show or name of the actor you're interested in, a list of matches will appear beneath the search window. Tap the best match to see options. Depending on the show, you can watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), record a single episode or create a Season Pass recording, modify an existing Season Pass, view upcoming epsiodes, find other video providers for the show (like Netflix), or share you comments on Facebook or Twitter. See it
To browse the program guide, tap "Guide" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Guide" (on a phone). Scroll the guide up or down to view more listings. (You can also search for particular channels by tapping at the top of the Channel column.)See it
- When you find a show you like, tap it to display information about it. From there, you can choose to watch it on your TV (if it's currently airing), record it (if it's airing now or at a later date), explore it further, view upcoming episodes, or share your comments on Facebook or Twitter.
- To jump to a particular time, tap the date to bring up the date selector.
- Tap to find a particular channel (you can search by channel name or number).
- To browse collections of related content (like award winners), or to browse by category (like TV, movies, or sports), tap "Browse" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Browse" (on a phone).See it
Using the My Shows list
To see your TiVo DVR's My Shows list on the TiVo app, just tap "My Shows" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "My Shows" (on a phone).
Tap a show's title to view information and options. You can watch the show on your TV by tapping "Watch now," explore the show, get or modify a Season Pass recording, view upcoming episodes, delete the show from the My Shows list, or share your comments about the show on Facebook or Twitter. See it
Note: The My Shows list is not available if you are away from your home network.
Using the remote control
You can use the TiVo app's remote control to control live TV and recorded shows, or to navigate around your TiVo DVR's menus. Here's how:
- Show the steps
- Tap the remote control icon (on a tablet) or the Pause icon (on a phone) at the top right of the screen. See it
- Tap "Gestures" (on a tablet) or the Gestures icon (on a phone) to show the gesture pad areas. In these areas, you can use touch-screen gestures, similar to the gestures used on other smartphone and mobile devices, to control your video. Tap the to display the gestures. See it
- Tap "Buttons" (on a tablet) or the remote icon (on a phone) to show the remote control buttons for navigating around TiVo menus and controlling playback. Use the buttons on the right of the screen to control your video. You can fast-forward, rewind, pause, slow motion, advance, instant replay, record, or give Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down ratings. Use the buttons on the left side of the screen to navigate around TiVo menus. See it
Note: The remote control is not available if you are away from your home network.
Managing your shows
The TiVo app lets you manage your TiVo DVR's To Do List and Season Pass requests.
- Show the steps
- Tap "Manage" at the bottom of the screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "To Do List." (on a phone). Tap a show title to get information about it. From there, you can cancel the recording, get or modify a Season Pass request, view upcoming episodes, explore the show, and more. See it
- Tap "Season Passes" (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose Season Pass Manager" (on a phone). See it
- To change the priority of Season Pass requests, press the menu button on your tablet/phone, tap "Reorder." Then, drag and drop your shows into the order you'd like. To get more information about a show, tap its title.
Note: You can not manage your shows if you are away from your home network.
Sharing on Facebook & Twitter
As you explore shows in the TiVo App, you can easily publish your comments about them on Facebook and Twitter.
Changing your selected DVR
To connect to a different compatible TiVo DVR in your network, tap the DVR name at the top left of your screen (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Selected DVR." Then select another DVR.
Changing settings & signing out
To change settings or manage your Facebook or Twitter accounts, tap the gear icon (on a tablet), or tap the TiVo button and choose "Settings" (on a phone). You'll see the following options: See it
- TiVo account: Displays how you are signed in to the TiVo app. Tap "Sign Out" to sign out.
- Facebook/Twitter account: Tap "Login" to sign in.
- Sound effects: Turn TiVo app sound effects on or off.
- Guide Channels: Choose which channels to display.
- About this app: Displays TiVo app information.
- Technical support: Links to tivo.com's support site.
- Legal Notices: Read legal information about the TiVo app.
- Reset application: Reset the app to default settings.